Saturday 24 March 2007

Went to the gym

Decided yesterday that despite hideous illness I was NOT going to be beaten.
Two miles on the treadmill convinced me otherwise. It was meant to be 5K but I just gave in. I set it to interval training (why??) and did 2min flat/2min uphill for the 20min it took to cover 2miles and I'd just had enough. I'd slowed to a fast walking pace twice so I could blow my nose. My body was having difficulty regulating heat (always a problem in the gym - but def. compounded by illness) - so being hot felt horrible.

But, having done the two miles I though some weights work would finish off the workout. This was more successful as I decided to take it slow and do no more than 3 sets of 12 repetitions with a good heavy weight on the machines. Leg press and knee lift were successful. Triceps press was acceptable, the pectoral thing went well, biceps were ok and the tummy machine was a joy. So overall it seemed to work. I took it really slowly with lovely rests in between all the repetitions.

I needed to drink more than usual and felt hotter and more tired than usual - but it was a positive experience.

Today a gentle 2.5 mile dog walk over a hill was all that took place. All I'm capable of really as I do feel extra tired today and slept for about 10 hours last night!

Still a bit panicky about not being well enough to complete the 1/2 the way I hoped - but I've still got 8 days - a lot can change in 8 days.

xx

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Inspiring to read that other sickees are out there working out... I too am worried about racing this weekend and I have a crapola sinus infection and have to get on 7 more flights before the end of the week.

Thank you for posting that you worked out through your illness... I need to buck up! :)

SAM said...

Thanks so much for commenting. Hope the flights go well - I can't cope without Sudafed decongestant (and hot toddies).
Good luck for the race!