Thursday 5 July 2007

It must be true

Not only does the Runner's World quote bestow 'real runner' status upon me, but yesterday I collected my first (and at that price, I wish only) pair of orthotics .. *cough* I mean, my orthoses.

So having been told to TAKE IT EASY in them... I did the following.

Gym 12 min fast walking to test orthotics - weird but good. Thought I was going to have a blister on my right instep but all a-ok.

tummy machine
shoulder press
cross pull arm thingy

some lunges and free weights - generally a bit of a nasty-girlie session where I didn't have enough time and didn't put my heart in to it. Worked up a sweat though.

That evening:
run 1mile 9.09

Then 10 x 0.1 of a mile hill repeats - managed to keep to 10.09pace luckily.
Leisurely walk back in between each repeat. It was hot and horrid.

Then 0.1 mile home so 5k in total but I TOOK MY SWEET TIME

Wore orthotics the whole time - feel great when running, lighter on my feet and v supportive. My only concern is my foot seems to put more pressure on the outer edge of my bad heel; I've obviously been walking and running to protect it, and these push me back onto it. I've given it a blast with the foot file to remove a bit of the hard skin (did you ever want this much detail?) - that should help to relive the pressure a bit.

That was all yesterday - I expected some weird muscle aches from the orthotics but so far only a mild ache in my butt (which I blame on doing hills for the first time in months).

4 comments:

Rae! said...

well is your comment in this issue of Runner's world?I hope the shoes work for you.

jogblog said...

Today I have a black toenail, I think that makes me a real runner too :-)

[rich] said...

Hope you get on with them ok - I've got some, not used them for a while.

SAM said...

rae! It's the UK issue of Runner's World this month.

Oooo jogblog - nice, just wait 'til you lose it - bleurghh - one of my least favorite things about running.

JoggerBlogger - love them - made all the difference - although still need to try a decent distance in them.