Monday 9 March 2009

Cautionary Tale

Once you've had the run of your life you shouldn't then come home, watch tv, eat dinner, and slob around. You wont be able to express the joy and elation you felt 4 1/2 hours earlier.

At 7 miles I convinced myself I was a god, a rock star, a super human (and yes the sport beans really had kicked in at that exact moment). The following miles were harder but do-able. But it was that perfect high, a high so pure and elating that I get a tiny glimpse of why drugs might be so good. It's like seeing the world working in perfect order and feeling strong, unbreakable, and immutable all in one crazy sweaty bundle. You feel, in that moment that there is no reason why you'll ever age or ail. Genius.

The weather in all its forms (sleet, snow, wind, driving rain) took me out for 2 walks this w/end but no runs. It was just too horrid, I'm always such a big wimp anyway. So after a lovely w/end with Doc I headed out to the gym.

The very expensive gym where only 2/4 treadmills were functioning and one of them is crap and set at a negative gradient anyway. Pah. I meant to complain but was sweating too much afterward to be seen or smelt by people. So I got the one 'good' treadmill but it's not under the air conditioning so it got really, really hot in there. Luckily Lars the fitness trainer or undetermined European origin came in and took pity on me and turned the temp down - before there was nothing left but a puddle.

10miles was the aim - I needed to do something to catch-up with my training. Yesterday I entered the Edinburgh Half Marathon which gives me a bit of a boost with the training aims. And apparently was exactly what I needed to get my lazy arse out the door. The threat of public humiliation (and not getting a PB in something I've paid good money to enter) will always make me work harder.

I'd done 8 miles last week so 9 should have been my goal but time is really ticking on now. I decided on 10 and started with a plan ... that never happens. I was going to run 0.8 of every mile at 9.40 pace, then the last 0.2 of every mile at 9.20 pace - this should give me a good boost and also break the miles up a bit. Brilliant. Also did some speeding up at the end, the usual - please god lets get there as fast I can physically move.

It worked like a dream as I then got to split it up in my head really well, I was only ever running a bit at a time. Breaking it up into tiny chunks got the time and miles to tick by quite nicely. My problem really is in the start, luckily in an actual race adrenalin keeps me going, but it takes about 4 miles until I'm even considering being 'in my stride'.

So, total was: (drum roll please) 1.36.19 which is a stonking 6min and 10 seconds faster than my last best ever training run, and 1 second a mile faster than my race pace last time. This gives me hope that I'm not such a lazy, lardy waster as I though. Just have to keep up some mileage over the next few weeks and I might *keep everything crossed* be in race shape in time.

Off to update my stats. Joy, joy, joy.

Also Misuno' are doing the bid'nes - worked well for 10miles with no aches, pains or blister. Don't feel as bouncy as I'm used to though so can't wait to try the NBs.

No comments: