Thursday 31 July 2008

No, really.

We won't talk about today. We won't mention the fried breakfast in the little cafe up the lane. We wont talk about the packet of mini battenburgs now empty at the bottom of the bin. We'll move on, we'll let the painters come in with their 'covers every sin' shade of gloss and call tomorrow a new day.

Last Sunday (27th) we headed to our new house. We thought we'd check it was still there. We left our little corner of Fife in thick, wet, grey mist. We couldn't even see the end of the garden. It sucked. It was so typical of our summers here, the sea harr claws it's way in. (Right now there are no lights outside and the rain is pelting the window.)
Our 45min trip saw us emerge into bright sunshine and glorious temperatures. We saw the chickens, filled the feeder, wandered around the house with dreamy expressions and left to explore the countryside. We pootled round lots of country lanes and made exclamations of cuteness at every turn. There are so many good running and cycling routes straight from the front door!
Our choice was to head to Little Glenshee and walk to Loch Tullybelton. A gentle walk of about 2k each way... not taxing. It was lovely, the dogs walked on their leads on occasionally pulling in the direction of a wayward sheep or rabbit. We eventually spotted the little loch covered with birds and lily pads. we wandered around an decided to cool off by taking a refreshing dip. TheO waded in in her pants and top, the dogs swam around her and I held the leads on the shore enjoying just paddling. She came into shore having cooled down and was towelling off whilst I tried to take my jeans off without covering them in mud and sand when there came a yelp: "What the hell is that?" She squeeked pulling something off her leg. A moments glance told us it was a leech. A LEECH. All I can add is that I didn't swim... oh no. I put my now damp and sandy jeans back on and wended our way homeward.
Had it been me, I too would have thought it gross and a bit yucky. As it was not me I was really quite fascinated, I'd never seen a leech in the wild before. This attitude seemed to make TheO smile and the horror of the leech subsided as we enjoyed our amble back to the car. It was a wonderfully beautiful spot and entirely ours for that Sunday evening.

Before leaving for the below I managed to fit in a quick gym trip.
33.43 for 4 miles a new bestest ever.
Delighted - it was on aerobic conditioning and went up from 1% to 4% in 3 hills.
The average of 8min 25 average - rocketh

28/29th saw us packing up the Drover (with massage table, dogs, golf clubs, crates, wine) and heading to Dollar-shire. TheO had many people to massage and I was along for the free grub! A v chilled out night with Ceegar and Meeper passed most amiably, followed by a great lunch at Tormaukin. Our brief trip to Wheeler and RF's (more massages) saw me almost manage to flood the Landrover. I'd left the windows open for the dogs and was inside cooking. The rain was so sudden and so heavy, by the time I made it outside (ie realised that the weird drumming noise was not a) someone drumming or, b) someone having a shower) the car was filling up. A few quick bails and she was safe again, although the pooches were pretty pissed off.
It might have been the fastest I've ever seen Wheeler move as he realised the garage (with the beloved motorbikes) was flooding. Drainage systems were quickly established - disaster averted. :)

30th Saw me get frustrated beyond belief as TheO (kindly) agreed to let me try and massacre the game of tennis a little more. I'm getting there in snail like increments. It's damn good fun though. Albeit I want to SMASH THINGS when it all goes horribly wrong, as it does every 4 shots.
We also went to see the new Batman film. I loved it. I thought it had a great combo of plot and action. Only Maggie Gyllenhall was rubbish - what's with the dead fish face?! I usually find anything over 90min a stretch (I'm a bit simple that way - and need entertainment). At 150+ minutes this really surprised me. It doesn't dawdle, and the effects and music are brilliant. Right, that's it. No more film review from me. It rocked. Nuff said.

31st There's something about the last day of a month that forces me into action. Got plenty of work done today and I tackled the tiles in the bathroom. Oh yes. About 1/7 of the tiles are now removed - it took 2 dusty, sweaty and muscle punishing hours. As I type I can feel the shoulder that wielded the hammer beginning to tighten. Eek, that's going to hurt in the morning.

Adeiu

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not quite a noneymoon but it certainly banishes my fears of the pair of you sitting and despairing over the lack of nedding fun to look forward to!

I am suitably reassured.

Helen
xxx